Tuesday, August 24, 2021

What DO I Do Well?

 

I'm trying to figure out what we're doing this school year. I've been reflecting on what has worked and what hasn't and feeling overwhelmed. I only have 5 more years of schooling Joy1, the reality that we're staring high school is really hitting me hard. 

I'm not a teacher. It's not a strength of mine to be honest and I'm looking at the fruit of homeschooling so far and on paper, well I'm just not sure. 


On paper my kids are all over the place, way ahead in some areas and way behind in others. That's normal for homeschooled kids but it's hard not to start comparing or feeling like a failure because I certainly do not have college level middle schoolers. I've never stuck to a curriculum perfectly. I hate making them do things that feel arbitrary but are the "right" thing. I waffle and worry. I kept having babies which threw a wrench in everything for a full year afterwards. I can be very consistent for myself and personal habits but when it means motivating others to do the same I'm at a loss. I don't know how to set us up for success or how to have a consistent school day or schedule...Things always seem to derail everything.  


When I set out to homeschool I wanted to offer my kids a real childhood. I didn't want them being trained to be good little students who could ace a test and get gold stars. I didn't want them gone 40+ hours a week and spending their entire growing up years away from our family. I didn't want their days full and rushed, I didn't want them to be in a constant state of stress and compression.

 I wanted them to be able to play, to curl up with books and get lost for hours at a time. I wanted them to be playing outdoors for hours on end with friends, getting muddy in the creek, playing in the snow and rain. I wanted to take nature walks with them and enjoy the gifts to be found in each season. I wanted them to find what they love and dig in and learn all about it. I wanted them to make mud pies, learn to garden and cook. I wanted them to be free. 


And looking back over the last 9 years I think we have done so much of that. I haven't ever stuck to a schedule. I haven't checked off every box I planned to scratch. But I know that freedom and time is what I've given them and I feel so blessed that we've been able to do that. They do know how to learn and figure out stuff on their own and how to find help when they're stuck.  They know how to read, they love stories and books and learning. 

I was talking with a friend in PA during our visit and she was saying essentially how she was going to try to relax this school year, to let go of the book stuff and focus on relationships.  What she shared was really resonating with me. The idea of building a daily rhythm to ground our days is so very appealing. It's what has worked best for us in the past, between babies when I actually had the brain space and enough sleep to get it together. But I'm really worried about the book stuff. I feel like such a failure that my kids still struggle with basic multiplication and division. That they won't memorize anything (except random pages of Frances books and random passages of books that have nothing classical or meaningful about them) and I have never been able to get them to see why it's important. I had visions of my kids knowing bunches of Bible verses, Awana award winner types, spouting poetry, knowing all the presidents and tons of history facts. Classical Conversation Elite all the way. I want to look successful and don't want to be a cautionary tale of those horrible neglectful homeschoolers. Most of all want my kids to be prepared for the real world...I want my kids able to do what they want to do in life. I want them to be able to find the answers. I don't want them feeling frustrated that I didn't offer them opportunities to learn the things they'll need to be successful. 



But I don't think focusing on drilling concepts, trying to cover gaps in learning and focusing on where we lack is going to do it. It can't be the focus. 
Our amazing School Room

So what do I do well? What does the focus need to be? How do I build more connection and help them learn and discover?  No curriculum is going to do it. We've tried them all with varying success. I feel like it's often such a waste because I'm not a teacher and they're not great students. They see arbitrary things as the busy work that it is, they see the waste of time. They see the reality that it's so that I can feel I taught something and checked something off an arbitrary set of checkpoints. Most of them do not grasp concepts by doing worksheets and crosswords about them. They are all mostly kinetic learners, they learn best from doing real things and through creativity. They learn best when their imagination is involved. They learn best when they are asked to solve real life problems. 



So what DO I do well? I love a good story. I love finding resources that make history come alive. I love nature and feel that most of understanding of science that you could ever need can be learned through appreciating and slowing down and being curious when out in nature. I am good, when I slow down and let go of the To Do list, at helping them find the answers they are seeking. What is lightning? Why do trees have bark? What kind of sap is edible? How does rain work? What about rainbows? 



I am also realizing I've struggled so much the last few years because 1) I've had infant/toddlers and that's brutal for me energy-wise. 2) My older kids have moved out of the curiosity stage.  The under 8 crowd wants to know everything about everything and they have no qualms about asking a billion questions a week. I love that! My older kids don't really get curious about things that require a library trip to find books about wolves or volcanoes. We have covered those things. They are more into 3D modeling and drawing and things that require youtube and hours of practicing a new skill on their own. 

The shift into this new stage of life has been really difficult for me. I find it harder to connect. I can't just curl up and read with them or try a hands on project from scraps I dig up from the junk drawer and pantry. I did do those things for them. But now we're in a new season. Their Dad is stronger at the technical stuff and he's the one slogging through helping them problem solve and find resources to do what they want to do.  Also having such a wide range of ages has been a real challenge, I think we're getting to the age where I can do read aloud times with out the younger ones making it an absolutely miserable experience within 10 minutes. 



So my answer to what I can do well: I enjoy things with them. Nature walks. Looking things up. Reading out loud. Crafty projects. I don't enjoy baking but I can teach them how to cook and bake. 

So how do I transition in all of this? How do I grow with my kids and this new season of life? How do I move forward this school year? What do I want our week to look like?

Questions for another post...



No comments:

Post a Comment

What Do I Want For My Kids? What Do I Want For Our Days?

My question at the end of my last post was:  How do I transition in all of this? How do I grow with my kids and this new season of life? How...